Sunday, April 11, 2010

Would you buy a car built by the Teachers Union?

Screw the kids, it's the teachers that count.

Living hell in high school that won't shut down
A Manhattan judge has voided the city's decision to close 19 schools for poor performance, ruling in favor of the teachers union . The schools will now stay open at least an other year. One of them, Paul Robeson HS in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, serves about 1,000 kids . It rates an "F" in school envi ronment and has a 40 per cent four-year graduation rate. In February, the prin cipal for 22 years, Ira Weston, was yanked for allegedly drinking on the job. Sophomore Alisha Strawder, 15, wishes the city had won. Here is her story, as told to The Post's Susan Edelman:
If I could burn down this school and get away with it, I would. I despise it.
I got accepted to Louis Brandeis HS in Manhattan, but my mom said, "That's too far away. You can't go that far." She said, "Go to Paul Robeson." We live across the street, and it was her high school, too. It was bad when she went here, and it's still bad.
There are cameras everywhere. They think you're going to be afraid of the cameras. I'm not sure they even work, or if they check them.
Kids smoke weed in the halls and stairwells. The boys have a motto: "I don't go to high school. I go to school high." I asked one guy what he wanted to be when he grew older. He said, "A drug dealer." Most of the girls are pregnant or have babies. There's a free day-care center here with about 20 babies.
The boys pressure you. A lot of girls will do anything and everything in the staircase -- 90 percent of the time it's giving the boys oral sex. My friend saw a girl sitting on a boy; her shirt was off. It was gross. One time we walked up the back staircase and found two used condoms on a step. No guards or teachers walk up that way.
There's lots of fighting. My God, do they fight. One guy got hit so hard he started bleeding and had a seizure in the cafeteria. There was a tag fight, where one person gets pulled out and their friend jumps in. A security guard trying to break it up was pushed down the stairs.
Some of the officers are friendly and look out for the kids. A lot of them take naps, play with their cellphones, and text. You see them knocked out, sleeping. You tap them, and they won't even roll over. Some let you fight, they don't have a problem with it. When the teacher comes out, they act like they're doing their job.
Nobody goes to class. You cut school, they won't know. To them, it's just another person who won't get suspended that day.
I'm not going to lie to you. I hardly go to class. But my grades average 70. When I do go, I participate like crazy. The next time the teacher sees me, I'm going to be an A student.
My teachers, they're an even mix of OK and bad, and one great teacher, Mr. Shwecky, for earth science. When I walk in with my face down, he goes, "What's wrong?" I'm a 90 student in his class. I really focus. He will come to me and help me. He's someone I can talk to.
Half the time, the teachers slack off. One teacher doesn't give us work. He'll let us fool around. He's unprepared, and then he gets mad because nobody listens to him.
One of my teachers also taught my mother. There are so many kids in the class who say, "I don't get it." She's old and cranky. She once told me to ask my friend. Excuse me, you get paid to do it, so do your job.
For gym, all you have to do is show your face. You can just sit there and talk. Boys gamble with dice or cards. I try to do something to earn my grade -- play volleyball. The volleyball net is right in the middle of the basketball court, so we all bump into each other. We get frustrated and throw each other's balls into the balcony.
I want this school to close so bad. I don't want to be stuck here.

No comments: