Saturday, March 31, 2012


Yemen clashes 'leave dozens dead' in south

Some 30 people have been killed in clashes between suspected al-Qaeda militants and the army in Yemen's south, officials say.

At least 17 soldiers and 12 suspected militants were killed.

A military official said the rebels had occupied an army post in Mallah, Lahij province, and the government responded with artillery fire and air attacks.

Islamist militants have renewed attacks on the army since President Abdrabbu Mansour Hadi took office last month.

President Hadi has made fighting al-Qaeda one of his top priorities.

The militants have taken advantage of a year of anti-government protests and have been locked in deadly battles with the army for months.

One military official told AFP that in the latest fighting "two army tanks and three al-Qaeda vehicles were destroyed".

He said several soldiers had been seized by al-Qaeda.

No comments: