Saturday, October 17, 2015

Nigerian asks for help retrieving lost money

I couldn't help imaginng about the letter sent asking for help.

Dear Mr. Obama,

Good day and compliments. This letter will definitely come to you as a huge surprise, but I implore you to take the time to go through it carefully as the decision you make will go off a long way to determine the future and continued existence of my country.

Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mr. Buhari. I am currently President of Nigeria.

My ordeal started immediately after taking office and examing the budget of my country. I am trying to recover billions of dollars stolen via graft.

I need the help of an external bank to help us retrieve this money. etc...


Nigeria’s President Enlists the West to Help Recover Stolen Money



The U.K. and U.S. have thrown their muscle behind Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s bid to recover billions of dollars he says his compatriots embezzled and stashed abroad.
At stake is whether courtrooms thousands of miles from Africa can help the continent track down stolen money, seize it, try the culprits and return the funds in timely fashion.
In May, Mr. Buhari became the first Nigerian to unseat an incumbent president, elected on his vow to recover a vast fortune of money lost to corruption. Within weeks, he was at the White House to ask for help.
“We’re all in,” replied Vice President Joe Biden, said Garba Shehu, spokesman for the Nigerian president.
When it comes to helping Africa’s top economy battle graft, this month has offered the first glimpse of how fast and far Mr. Buhari’s friends abroad can move. In the past, Western governments have acted on similar pleas from other African states—but this time, they have operated with unprecedented nimbleness.

No comments: