Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Home invasion and the right to self defense.

A home invasion suspect is dead after he met up with a homeowner who was armed. 
The incident took place around 10 p.m. local time Sunday in Anderson County, South Carolina, according to WSPA-TV.

What are the details? 

The suspect, 39-year-old Efren Nectali Ramirez from Honduras, reportedly forced his way into Antwain Moton's home.
Moton's wife, mother-in-law, and 4-year-old daughter were in the home when Ramirez reportedly broke down the door. 
Moton, who was playing Xbox at the time, jumped to his feet and pulled out a weapon.
"He was in the front door and closed the door behind him when I had to shoot him," Moton recalled. 
Moton, 35, fired his weapon once, striking Ramirez in the chest. 
"Eventually I took it [into] my own hands," he said. "That's my 4-year-old daughter in the bedroom." 
Moton told WHNS-TV, "His hands were just coming toward us, like he was going to do some type of harm."

Moton explained that Ramirez reportedly bit his wife and shoved his mother-in-law. 
The homeowner called 911, but Ramirez was dead by the time first responders arrived.

What else?

"As soon as I shot him, I called 911, and tried to keep him responsive while I [spoke to the dispatcher]," he said.
Moton said that he didn't want to take the intruder's life, but he didn't feel like he had another option. 
"It hurts me that I took his life," Moton admitted. "I didn't want that to happen, but I had no other choice." 
Moton wonders what would have happened if he hadn't been at home that fateful night. 
"What if I wouldn't have been home? What would he have done then?" Moton asked. "I had to protect them. That's my family."
Moton told the station that he wasn't even sure why Ramirez chose his home. 
"Why? Why did he have to come here?" he asked.
According to the station, Moton will likely not face charges in connection with the Sunday incident. 
WSPA reported that the Anderson County Sheriff's Office said the shooting appears to be self-defense.
The investigation is still ongoing. 

No comments: