Friday, July 2, 2010

Obama and the undocumented Democrats

I heard some clips of Obama's immigration speech yesterday and a couple of things really stuck out. First, the statement that we are now checking the contents of all trains going southbound. Southbound? Is he saying that the real problem is caused by America? Second, his knowledge of American history, and by that I include the folks around him, is atrocious. He so muddled the history of the Statue of Liberty it was shocking. Emma Lazarus did not raise money for the Statue of Liberty.

The Statue of Liberty was given to us by the French to celebrate our Constitution and the founding of the country. It was not called the Statue of Immigration.

In his immigration speech today, President Obama cited the most prominent symbol of America's immigrant tradition: The Statue of Liberty.

He also quoted famous lines from the Emma Lazarus poem inscribed at the base of the statue -- at least some of them.

Read on, and see if you can spot the difference (and we credit our friends at Politico for noticing this).

Here's Obama, according to the White House website:

Give me your tired, and your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to be free ...

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

And here's the Lazarus poem:

Give me your tired, your poor.

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Yes, the president left out the section about "the wretched refuse of your teeming shore."

Politically correct? Or did he just overlook the line?





No comments: