Parents' outrage after Virginia high school students are asked to practice calligraphy by writing 'There is no god but Allah'
- Ninth-graders at Riverheads High School were given assignment to copy the Islamic creed known as shahada during world geography class
- It reads: 'There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah'
- Public recitation of the shahada is the first formal step in conversion to Islam but students were not asked to read it aloud
- Students were also shown a Koran and invited to try on a scarf to learn about Islamic concept of modest dress
- Parent Kimberly Herndon accused Riverheads social studies teacher Cheryl LaPorte of indoctrinating students into Islamic faith
- School officials said LaPorte's lesson was in line with the Standards of Learning in Virginia