Tuesday, January 29, 2019

8th-grade 'privilege test' calls out straight white males, intact families, people with money


A "privilege test" was given to 150 eighth-grade students at a Wisconsin public school in December and consisted of 55 statements participants checked off such as:

  • I am white

  • I am a man

  • I am heterosexual

  • I feel comfortable in the gender I was born in

  • My family and I have never lived below the poverty line

  • My parents are still married

  • I do not have any physical disabilities
Image source: WITI-TV video screenshot
Teachers at Badger Middle School in West Bend wanted to start a conversation about privilege after students read the classic book "To Kill a Mockingbird," which deals with racism in the Jim Crow South, the district told WITI-TV.

continue

No comments: