Wednesday, February 27, 2013

There are still some folks with self respect out there


Jobless Indiana teenager rewarded for long walk in the snow

An unemployed teenager who embarked on a 10-mile walk through the snow for a job interview saw his dedication pay off after another restaurant owner, impressed with his work ethic, offered him a job at his business.

Jobless Indiana teenager rewarded for long walk in the snow
Jhaqueil Reagan's story has been shared nearly 4,000 times  
Jhaqueil Reagan, 18, was walking to an appointment at Dairy Queen, a fast food chain, in Indianapolis, when he approached Art Bouvier to ask directions.
Mr Bouvier, the owner of a Cajun restaurant, told the teenager that he was still about seven miles from his destination.
“I said, 'You’d be better off on a bus especially in this weather.’ He just said, 'Okay, thank you.’ And he kept going,” Mr Bouvier told local television station WLFI.
Later the same morning, while driving to a coffee shop, Mr Bouvier saw Mr Reagan walking by the side of the road and offered him a lift.
“I said, well how come you’re not on the bus?” Mr Bouvier said. “He said, 'I can’t afford the bus until I get a job.’
“I’m thinking to myself, here’s a kid walking almost 10 miles in the ice and slush and snow for the hope of a job at minimum wage. That’s the kind of story your parents used to tell, my parents used to tell.”
After dropping him off, Mr Bouvier asked for Mr Reagan’s phone number and later posted the entire story on his Facebook page, prompting a huge response. The story has been shared nearly 4,000 times and attracted hundreds of positive comments.
That evening Mr Bouvier called Mr Reagan, who did not get the job he initially applied for, and offered him a job at his Papa Roux Cajun Cooking restaurant.
Mr Reagan told local television stations that he had struggled to find work since he left school two years ago when his mother died. He completed his secondary education while caring for his siblings.
Speaking about his new job, he added: “I’m really lucky I met him...He told me about it and I was just so surprised. I was awestruck. My heart’s just racing right now. I’m just too excited, just excited to start.”
Mr Bouvier added: “The next time somebody hands me a sob story about needing money for this or that, because they really want to make their lives better... I hope to be able to introduce them to Jhaquiel.”

No comments: