Thursday, December 26, 2013

Obama's America: leaving Americans behind. Like the doctor who helped us find bin Laden who is in jail helping America has become a fools choice.


American held by al-Qaeda makes video appeal to Barack Obama

Warren Weinstein says he is in poor health and has been “forgotten” by his country after being kidnapped in Pakistan more than two years ago

Warren Weinstein
Image 1 of 2
American Warren Weinstein in England in 2009 Photo: AP
An American held by al-Qaeda in Pakistan has recorded a video message saying he feels “totally abandoned” by his country and asking President Barack Obama to open negotiations for his release.
Warren Weinstein, who is now 72, was snatched from his home in the city of Lahore in 2011, where he had worked as a development contractor.
He wore a black woollen hat and spoke in a tired monotone in the 13-minute video, which was apparently made by as-Sahab, al-Qaeda’smedia arm, and sent to The Telegraph along with other media houses.
“I am now over 72 years of age. I am not in good health. I have a heart condition. I suffer from acute asthma and the years have taken their toll,” he said.
“I have been cut off from my family, my wife who is over 70, my two daughters, my two grandchildren, my son-in-law, and perhaps new members of the family I’ve never met.
“Needless to say I have been suffering deep anxiety every part of every day.”
He added that he had served his country for more than 30 years, as a college professor, Peace Corps volunteer and development worker.
“Now when I need my government it seems I have been totally abandoned and forgotten,” he said, looking lethargic and ashen faced.
He urged Mr Obama to open negotiations and appealed to the president as a family man to help secure his freedom.
The video was accompanied by a handwritten letter – dated October 3, 2013 – setting out the same message.
“I hope that the media can mount a campaign to get the American government to actively pursue my release and to make sure that I am not forgotten and just become another statistic,” he wrote.
“Given my age and my health I don’t have time on my side.”
Mr Weinstein was kidnapped at gunpoint from his house in August 2011just two days before he was due to leave Pakistan and return to the US.
At first security forces suggested he had most likely been taken by a criminal gang who hoped to earn a ransom.
“Just as the Americans detain all whom they suspect of links to al Qaeda and the Taliban, even remotely, we detained this man who has been neck-deep in American aid to Pakistan since the 1970s,” he said, adding that the captive would be released if the US ended drone strikes and released the 1993 World Trade Centre bombers.
Warren Weinstein pictured in a video released by by Al-Qaeda's media arm, A-Sahab, in 2012
American officials say they are working to verify the authenticity of the new letter and video but have repeatedly said they will not negotiate for Mr Weinstein’s release.
He is believed to be held in North Waziristan, close to the border with Afghanistan.
Other hostages held by al-Qaeda linked groups, such as the Pakistan Taliban, have been released in the past, often when a ransom has been paid.

No comments: