Monday, September 28, 2020

The hidden costs of rioting

Zimmerman woman paralyzed after missing window for urgent medical care during riots


Jay Kolls
Updated: September 28, 2020 09:54 AM
Created: September 27, 2020 09:04 PM 

A 59-year-old Zimmerman woman told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS she had an extreme medical emergency May 29 but was delayed getting specialized treatment during Twin Cities riots and is now paralyzed from the waist down.

Retired Minnesota National Guard Master Sgt. Launette Figliuzzi said she had a spinal stroke and needed to be airlifted to a metro hospital that specializes in emergency stroke care, but airspace over the metropolitan area was restricted at the time and major highways were closed as well due to the rioting.

“I needed to get an injection into my spine as soon as possible to try and break up the blood clot,” Figliuzzi said. “But since we had to go by ambulance, it took an hour and a half, about twice as long, to get to the specialized stroke center, and when I got there I was told I had missed my window for a safe injection, and now I am paralyzed."

Figliuzzi said the spinal injection has a “very good chance” of succeeding if it is administered quickly and to not have that opportunity to possibly avoid paralysis has made her angry.

continue

No comments: