Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Government Farm Policy and Complete Idiocy, But I repeat myself

Funny...I do most of the food shopping in our household and I haven't noticed meat prices being particularly low, but if I did, or if I noticed that they were declining, I would consider that a good thing. I'm glad to know that the government, in its infinite wisdom, is once again using my tax dollars to make goods more expensive for me to buy. (That is in addition to the already idiotic ethanol policy which jacks up the price of corn to make my gas more expensive at a net energy loss). The final step, if past farm policy is a guide, is that the Feds will then use even more of my tax dollars to subsidize meat exports, so we don't price ourselves out of foreign markets. We will offset with tariffs on meat imports, making meat, again more expensive for consumers. But the government has your best interest in mind.


To protect ethanol, Obama seeks to inflate meat prices



Campaigning in Missouri Valley, Iowa, yesterday, President Obama announced yet another government spending program -- this time designed to inflate meat prices in Midwest swing states. "Today the Department of Agriculture announced that it will buy up to $100 million worth of pork products, $50 million worth of chicken, and $20 million worth of lamb and farm-raised catfish," Obama explained to reporters in front of a drought-stricken cornfield.

On a related note: Price of Ground Beef Hits Record High


The average price of ground beef hit a record high in the United States in July, according to data released Wednesday by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. 
The BLS has been tracking the average price of a pound of 100% ground beef since 1984. In July, it cost $3.085, up from $3.007 in June. 
Prior to June, the average cost of 100% ground beef in the United States had never topped $3.00.

No comments: