Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The lesson is under socialized health care you have no choices...you're just another ant in the colony. Welcome to Obamacare.


LESSONS TO BE LEARNED FROM BARROW HOSPITAL CASE - CORONER

A CORONER has criticised poor communication between hospital staff and patients during an inquest into the death of a Barrow woman.
S70317B
OUTRAGE The Brady family, from left, dad Simon, Tyler, Kayden and mum Liza. MILTON HAWORTH
Doreen Jesson, 67, of Sutherland Street, was referred to Furness General Hospital in August last year suffering from nausea and weight loss.
After being diagnosed with an infection and cirrhosis of the liver, her health deteriorated and she was transferred to Abbey View to receive end of life care. She died of pneumonia on September 19, 2012.
But South and East Cumbria coroner, Mr Ian Smith, said doctors should have listened more closely to the patient and her family before the decision to withdraw treatment was taken.
Her daughter, Lorraine Wilson, said she was told by a senior doctor that her mother was being placed on the Liverpool Care Pathway, a care plan designed to alleviate the suffering of patients who are near death.
Mrs Wilson said: “I don’t believe it was right to put my mum on that because I don’t believe she was dying. I was told it didn’t matter what my opinion was and that I was being cruel, and the doctors were being cruel by keeping my mum alive.” Mrs Wilson added: “She was always fiery, she was always complaining about the food and she was always out of bed.”
Mr Smith concluded that Mrs Jesson had died of natural causes but added there were lessons to be learned about the way the case was handled.
“Mrs Wilson did argue quite strongly against putting Mrs Jesson on the Liverpool Care Pathway but the doctor overruled her.
“At that point, Mrs Jesson was indeed very unwell.
“But I accept that she was conscious and ought to have been more involved in the decision.”
Mr Smith also called for greater continuity in care after hearing Mrs Jesson had been overseen by three different doctors in a two-week period.
He said: “I think Mrs Jesson was extremely poorly but there are areas that have been raised that I have heard about in other inquests and they need to be looked into.”
Speaking afterwards, Mrs Wilson said: “I think the inquest has shown that there was some mismanagement of my mum’s case in terms of communication and the overall care she received. I will be taking it further.”

No comments: