Friday, October 16, 2009

A Scary 2012 GOP Nominee Poll

From Rasmussen:

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of Republican voters nationwide say former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee is their pick to represent the GOP in the 2012 Presidential campaign. The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that 24% prefer former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney while 18% would cast their vote for former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin.

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich gets 14% of the vote while Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty gets 4%. Six percent (6%) of GOP voters prefer some other candidate while 7% remain undecided.

These numbers reflect an improvement for Huckabee since July when the three candidates were virtually even. Huckabee’s gain appears to be Palin’s loss as Romney’s support has barely changed.

The numbers for Huckabee and Romney look even stronger when GOP voters were asked which candidate they would least like to see get the nomination. Pawlenty came on top in that category with 28%. Palin was second at 21% while 20% named Gingrich. Romney and Huckabee were in the single digits with 9% and 8% respectively.

Huckabee and Romney are viewed favorably by 78% of Republican voters, Palin by 75%. Gingrich earns favorably reviews from 69% while Pawlenty is less well known and gets a positive assessment from 45% of Republicans.

Huckabee? Really, Huckabee? The only good thing I can say about him is that he is Pro-Israel. He is one of those religious southern midwest populists who have very little in common with the free market wing of the party. You'd probably see very little difference between a Huckabee Presidency and that of a DLC-er, and that is not how Republicans have successful Presidencies. People need to feel they are actually voting for something other than Democratic-lite to bring out the base. I don't think I am just speaking for myself when I say that I don't want to vote Republican just so I can say I vote Republican and end up with the same kind of government programs in the end. I want to vote for someone who actually believes in what I believe, more or less. Free minds and free markets. Is that so hard? This reminds me of that article I read this morning in the WSJ about the tension between Tea Party activists and the GOP, who want to elect a liberal Republican to Congress in upstate NY because they view her as electable. She supported the Obama stimulus AND card check. Tell me again what is the point of electing Republicans when they are going to act like Democrats when in power? It's not like I'm going to be gaining any graft because the crooks I sympathize with take over.

Anyway, back to my original train of thought. As I mentioned before, I don't trust Romney, so him taking the #2 spot doesn't make me feel good. Neither does Palin, who I don't think actually has a reason to be a Republican other than the fact she was born into it. And Pawlenty only got 4% and he is probably the highest quality guy in there. I like Gingrich, but not as a candidate. He is too nuts. He always find a way to come out of left field on certain issues. And then there are those revisionist history novels of his where the South wins. Yeah, that's really going to play well.

The GOP needs an articulate free market Presidential hopeful with name recognition and it needs him/her badly.

4 comments:

cocked and loaded said...

We need a hero to come and save the
day.

jerry said...

Well said Max. It's truly depressing to see so many ideologically vapid people in the Republican Party.

A Conservative Teacher said...

There is never going to be a 'perfect' candidate- even as Governor Reagan raised taxes and supported welfare policies. The key is to find that candidate who can lead us in the right direction, even if he is as all of gods creatures are imperfect.

That being said, I suggest you take another look at Romney. He fits the mold and has much of the same characteristics as Reagan, and time after time for year after year has said the right things. Not trusting him is okay- he's a politician- but realize he is the best of the bunch.

Don't be worried about Huckabee- he has a cieling that prevents him from winning the nomination, as does Palin. Pawleny is good too, as is LA Gov Jingell, and anyone should be quite pleased with a ticket that includes them on it.

libertarian neocon said...

There is definitely no such thing as a perfect politician. But Romney is so far from perfect. He still defends the MassCare debacle! He just doesn't even respond the way you would like. I'd like him much better if he would admit his mistake and explain his through process at the time. You know, like a normal person would do after making a major error in judgement.

I am hoping for Pawlenty but this poll gives him 4% of the vote.

I do like Jindal but he really bombed as the GOP response to the State of the Union speech.