Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Pakistan attack: Gunmen kill 19 at Bacha Khan University.

Pakistan attack: Gunmen kill 19 at Bacha Khan University

Media captionThe BBC's Shahzeb Jillani said the attackers were heavily armed
Security forces have ended a gun and bomb attack on a university in north-west Pakistan in which 19 people were killed and 17 injured.
Four suspected attackers also died in a battle that lasted nearly three hours at Bacha Khan University in Charsadda.
One Pakistani Taliban commander said the group had carried out the assault, but its main spokesman denied this.
The group killed 130 students at a school in the city of Peshawar, 50km (30 miles) from Charsadda, in 2014. 
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said in a statement: "We are determined and resolved in our commitment to wipe out the menace of terrorism from our homeland." 

'Teacher shot back'

The attackers struck at around 09:30 local time (04:30 GMT), apparently climbing over a back wall under cover of the thick winter fog.
Intense gunfire and explosions were heard as security guards fought the attackers. 
Media captionFootage showing the inside of Bacha Khan University, Charsadda, Pakistan
Students and staff ran to find cover in toilets and examination halls. 
One student told television reporters he was in class when he heard gunshots: "We saw three terrorists shouting, 'God is great!' and rushing towards the stairs of our department.
"One student jumped out of the classroom through the window. We never saw him get up."
Reports say a chemistry lecturer, named by media as Syed Hamid Husain, shot back at the gunmen to allow his students to flee, before he was killed.
A Pakistani security official inspects the premises of Bacha Khan UniversityImage copyrightEPA
Image captionPakistan security officials inspected the damage once the attack had ended
BBC map
Geology student Zahoor Ahmed said the teacher had warned him not to leave the building after the first shots were fired.
"He was holding a pistol in his hand," he was quoted by AFP news agency as saying.
"Then I saw a bullet hit him. I saw two militants were firing. I ran inside and then managed to flee by jumping over the back wall."
The victims - mostly male students - were shot in the head or chest. Seventeen people were injured. At least one security guard also died. 

It could have been much worse - M Ilyas Khan, BBC News, Islamabad

There have been conflicting claims about who could be involved in the attack, a sign of the kaleidoscopic mix of militant networks evolving along the Pakistan-Afghan border region in the north. 
The attack comes amid a sudden spike in militant violence in Pakistan, after a year of relative peace and quiet largely attributed to a 2014 military operation against militant sanctuaries in Waziristan. Questions are now being raised over whether that operation really destroyed the ability of militants to regroup and strike at will.
The attack is reminiscent of the December 2014 attack on a school in Peshawar in which more than 150 people, mostly schoolboys, were killed. But damage to life and property this time has been much less, mainly due to swift action by the local police, but also because of the fact that the university had its own team of more than 50 trained security guards on duty who first confronted the attackers.
A dense fog that reduced visibility to less than 10m may also have been a factor, as one police officer explained, because it put the attackers at a disadvantage against the university guards who knew the premises better.

No comments: