Here are the more serious and latest samples of the corrected Animal Farm Commandments on the American Farm barn wall for the age of the Trump presidency.
- The Senate filibuster is
an archaic and disruptive obstacle to governmentan essential tool of legislative democracy.
- The Senate’s “nuclear option” of approving nominees by majority votes is a
legitimate tool to restore legislative balancecrackpot idea to erode Senate traditions.
- Pen-and-phone executive orders
are critical presidential prerogatives when Congress won’t actundermine the Constitution’s separation of powers.
- Past Supreme Court decisions
are always fluid rulings and hold no real sway over present court prerogativesestablished judicial precedents that should not be tampered with by current politicized justices.
- Pressuring private companies
like Boeing or Chrysler for political purposeslike Carrier to keep jobs in the U.S. is unwise presidential intrusion into the marketplace.
- Edgy, out-of-the-box foreign-policy outreach to
democracies like Taiwandictatorships like Cuba and Iran is proof of presidential leadership and imagination.
- Presidential informality
like inviting rappers with rap sheets to the White House or doing interviews with GloZelllike tweeting and videos are ominous signs of presidential frivolity and immaturity.
- States-rights nullification of federal law
has been traditionally racist, and subversive to the idea of the United States, leading to crisis or waris a legitimate expression of progressive cultural exceptionalism.
- Running up huge deficits
in Keynesian fashion primes the economyis a dangerous sign of presidential laxity.
- Regular press conferences with vigorous cross-examinations of the president are
noisy anachronisms from the bygone age of print journalisma must for a functioning democracy.
- Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Ohio voting
twice for Barack Obama over John McCain and Mitt Romney was at last proof that the white working class was tolerant and enlightenedfor Trump shows that these deplorable voters are still irredeemable white clingers and supremacists.
- Worries that registration and voting can be rigged
Rioting, demanding superfluous recounts, damning the legitimacy of the Electoral College, and threatening Electorsare efforts to subvert American democracy.
- Criticizing a former president
allots proper blame where it belongs for current messesis bad sportsmanship, cheap, and unbecoming.
- Former presidents making business deals and earning exorbitant speaking and consulting fees as they cash in and globe-trot
demeans the officeis an acceptable right and welcome duty of an ex-president.
- Weighing in on contemporary news stories such as
the Skip Gates psychodrama or the Trayvon Martin murder casea flag-burning incident is symptomatic of presidential puerility.
- Vladimir Putin
was unfairly alienated by George W. Bush, sophomorically hyped into an existential threat by Mitt Romney, and deserving of resetis dangerous, a Trump fan, and an inveterate enemy of the U.S.