Monday, March 14, 2016

Bernie: social justice is all that matters to the loony left. Competence and accounting are anathema to these leftists.

Sanders: We Need to Make Sure Federal Contracts Go to People Who Need It Most

By Melanie Hunter | March 14, 2016 | 11:52 AM EDT 
Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) (AP Photo)
(CNSNews.com) – Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said Sunday at the CNN TV One Democratic presidential town hall in Ohio that federal contracts and money should go to those most in need.

“What we have got to do, not just as a party but as a nation, make sure that federal contracts and money goes to those people who need it the most,” Sanders said.



TV One host Roland Martin asked Sanders, “You have talked a lot about income inequality during this campaign. Reverend Jesse Jackson Sr., who is here, has been fighting Silicon Valley, opening up the doors and opportunities for African-Americans and other people of color.

“Yet four years ago, PowerPAC+ did a study showing that the Democratic Party spent $514 million on various consultants, yet minorities only got 1.7 percent or $8.4 million of that. How can the people trust Democrats to do something about income inequality when, when it comes to political dollars, they practice income inequality?” Martin asked.

“Well, that's a very good point, and let me say hello to Reverend Jackson. I was with him yesterday, and I am proud to say that way back in 1988 when he and I were a little bit younger, and he ran his brilliant campaign for president, I am proud to say I was one of the few white politicians, white elected officials to support Jesse Jackson. And in fact, he won the state of Vermont, so I'm very proud of that,” Sanders said.

“But to answer your question, what we have got to do, not just as a party but as a nation, make sure that federal contracts and money goes to those people who need it the most,” he said.
Sanders pointed out that youth unemployment, particularly for African-American youth, is “off the charts.”

“Roland, let me tell you what I think is one of the great crises facing this country which gets little coverage from the media, and that is youth unemployment in this country. Unemployment and underemployment is off of the charts. For African-American kids, it is 51 percent,” Sanders said.

“I want, and I believe that the folks most capable of helping lower that rate are the black business community, and I think we should be very aggressive in targeting federal contracts to the African-American community, the Latino community, those communities that can help us the most deal with high rates of unemployment. So I share your concern. It's a good point,” Sanders added.

No comments: