Anti-Trump protests turn violent: Cops clash with 6,000-strong crowd in Oakland and activists block roads in LA amid nationwide demonstrations that saw Madonna and Cher join 7,000 in NYC
- Tens of thousands of protesters gathered across the US as the backlash over Trump's victory took hold
- In Oakland protesters set fires in streets and threw bottles at cops, as police retaliated with tear gas
- Demonstrators in New York hung effigies of Trump to chants of 'not my President' and 'Black Lives Matter'
- In Los Angeles, a disorganized protest of thousands saw fires on City Hall steps and 110 Freeway taken over
- Rallies were held in at least 16 other cities as Americans protest against Trump's divisive politics
- Some protests were planned by groups such as Socialist Alternative and, in Seattle, by a councilwoman