Friday, July 1, 2022

Why liberals shouldn't own gun...they're too mentally unstable

NEWS

The snakes wriggle to avoid the Constitution


Transgenderism is a mental disorder that should be treated as such.


What pro criminal anti police policies created. Cloward-Piven as it applied to crime

An analysis of recent crime data indicates that homicide clearance rates are down, even as homicide rates have spiked.

According to a report issued by the FBI regarding crime statistics, local law enforcement agencies have struggled to solve even half of the cases that come under their jurisdiction.

"It's a 50-50 coin flip," says Thomas Hargrove, who runs the Murder Accountability Project, which tracks unsolved murders nationwide. "It's never been this bad. During the last seven months of 2020, most murders went unsolved. That's never happened before in America." 

An analysis of recent crime data indicates that homicide clearance rates are down, even as homicide rates have spiked.

According to a report issued by the FBI regarding crime statistics, local law enforcement agencies have struggled to solve even half of the cases that come under their jurisdiction.

"It's a 50-50 coin flip," says Thomas Hargrove, who runs the Murder Accountability Project, which tracks unsolved murders nationwide. "It's never been this bad. During the last seven months of 2020, most murders went unsolved. That's never happened before in America."

This disturbing trend becomes even more worrisome as homicide rates continue to climb. According to MSNBC, murder rates increased by almost 15% between September 2020 and September 2021, and cities like Los Angeles, Baltimore, and even Jackson, Mississippi, have been unable to contend with the increase in case loads.

Though a city of just 160,000 people, Jackson recorded 153 homicides in the last year and has just eight homicide detectives on staff to investigate them.


"The whole system is backlogged," said James Davis, the police chief of Jackson. "I could use more police officers. I could use more homicide detectives, but if the state is backed up, the court is backed up, we will still have the same problem by developing these cases that we're already doing."

Government is the biggest gainer in the gasoline price crisis...sales taxes and excise taxes

Californians contending with the highest gas prices in the nation will pay another 3 cents per gallon starting Friday due to the state's annual gas tax increase.

Yes, you read that right: Gas prices will go up due to the state's excise tax on gasoline, which is adjusted each year.

Golden State drivers on Thursday were already paying an average of $6.289 for a gallon of regular gas, far more than the national average of $4.857 and the most of any state, according to the American Automobile Assn.

But the number had represented something of a relief as it inched down from the record high of $6.438 a couple of weeks ago, dropping on Thursday for the 16th consecutive day.

Now, the excise tax will see prices go up again. The tax is increasing from 51.1 cents to 53.9 cents per gallon, the second highest such charge in the nation, with only Pennsylvania's excise tax clocking in higher.

The hike comes just days after Gov. Gavin Newsom and state Democrats reached a budget deal for gas tax relief, which will be delivered in the form of refunds to the state's residents.


But several state leaders, including many in the GOP, had been pushing for the state to temporarily suspend the gas tax altogether.

"The Governor and the Legislature could have suspended the state's gas tax and stopped this," Assemblyman Vince Fong (R-Bakersfield), vice chair of the Assembly Budget Committee, said in a statement about the increase. "But by choice, the ruling party in Sacramento is choosing not to do so. The result will be more rising costs on practically everything."

Newsom and other Democratic leaders ultimately rejected the idea of suspending the gas tax increase, with some arguing that doing so would cut off funding for much-needed infrastructure projects and cost jobs.

Others said there was no guarantee that the oil companies would pass the savings on to consumers, with Democratic Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon announcing a legislative inquiry to determine whether oil companies are "ripping off" drivers.

However, President Biden in June asked Congress to suspend the federal gas tax through September, a move that he said could shave off 18 cents per gallon.

In a letter to Newsom on Monday, nearly a dozen Republican members of Congress asked the governor to follow Biden's lead. They also called on Newsom to support a repeal of the state's policy of indexing the gas tax to inflation.

"Amidst historic uncertainty in global energy markets and California's unique vulnerability to supply shocks, California families deserve tax relief that reflects the severity of the economic realities they face," said the letter, signed by Jay Obernolte, Kevin McCarthy, David Valadao and other GOP leaders.

Severin Borenstein, an energy economist at UC Berkeley, said he didn't think pausing the gas tax without a clear path for restoration made sense, but he also disagreed with the argument that it would cut spending.

"The Legislature could shift revenues from other parts of the budget to fill that in, as they're doing right now to pay these rebates," he said. "I think the reality is that neither side views the three cents as a big deal."

In fact, he said many consumers might not even notice the extra three cents "compared to all the ups and downs of crude prices," which have been highly volatile lately. The price of crude oil dropped from about $120 per barrel to $110 per barrel in recent weeks, he said, translating to a savings of about 25 cents a gallon.

Borenstein cautioned that suspending the tax without raising it to a "reasonably high level" later would encourage people to go back to driving gas-guzzling cars when the price drops again.

"The problem would be, how to do we get people to continue to choose [electric vehicles] when gasoline is so cheap," he said.

He said a bigger priority for the Legislature should be what he called the state's " mystery gasoline surcharge," which has for years seen Californians inexplicably paying more at the pump.

"Obviously, 3 cents lower would be better than higher, but compared to the other factors driving gas prices, this isn't the major one," he said of the excise tax.

Friday's increase also arrives ahead of the Fourth of July weekend, which AAA said will be the third-busiest Independence Day on record for Southern California when it comes to holiday travel. About 2.7 million Southern Californians are expected to travel by car.

"People are ready for a break, and despite things costing more, they are finding ways to take that much-needed vacation," said Doug Shupe, spokesman for AAA Southern California.

Las Vegas, San Diego, the Grand Canyon, Mexico and Yosemite National Park are the top destinations for Southern Californians hitting the road, according to AAA.

Nationwide, more than 42 million people are expected to travel by car this weekend, the organization said.

Evil if it was ideological; evil if it was intentional

Vegan mom starved toddler to death with diet of raw vegetables, fruit

Did no one notice this kid's homicidal tendencies?

Stacey Abrams is pro criminal

BOOM: Over 100 Georgia Sheriffs Condemn Stacey Abrams for Her Support of This Far-Left Idea

Leftist violence

Climate activists slash dozens of SUV tires in NYC, say 'major cities' across US to be hit next

Climate group slashing tires plans to 'expand massively' across US

Because it's an ongoing coup!

"If I was so evil, why did she fight so hard to stay a part of the MAGA TEAM? This is all documented in writing!" Trump wrote

Holding the law abiding hostage

Remain At Your Own Risk! Another Major Business Operator Pulls Out Of Chicago



"But it’s not just large and midsize employers that have had enough of Chicagoland crime. Small business owners like Jessica Nguyen have had to close their doors due to devastating burglaries and criminal harassment, and Mayor Lightfoot has even taken the bizarre approach of proactively shutting down small businesses with the intention of reducing surging gang-related crime: an ass-backward governmental strategy if ever there was one."


Don't believe the WH manipulates and selects press journalists


A group of 68 journalists sent a rare protest letter to White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre Thursday asking that President Biden’s staff abandon a mysterious pre-screening process and reopen large events to all journalists.

TV correspondents, famed veteran reporters and leaders of the White House Correspondents’ Association rallied behind the call to end year-old restrictions on venues such as the East Room that in past administrations were “open press.”

Biden aides have refused to tell the Correspondents’ Association the selection criteria for presidential events and individual reporters have received an array of conflicting explanations, resulting in a widespread belief that the practice is meant to shape the variety of questions presented to the president.

“The current method of allowing a limited number of reporters into these events is not only restrictive and antithetical to the concept of a free press, but it has been done without any transparent process into how reporters are selected to cover these events,” the letter says.

“The continued inability of the White House to be candid and transparent about the selection process for reporters attending his remarks undermines President Biden’s credibility when he says he is a defender of the First Amendment,” it continues.

“The incongruity of these restrictions underscores the belief by many reporters that the administration seeks to limit access to the president by anyone outside of the pool, or anyone who might ask a question the administration doesn’t want asked.”

“Let us be candid,” the letter goes on. “Our job is not to be liked, nor is it to be concerned about whether or not you like what we ask. Reporters’ ability to question the most powerful man in our government shouldn’t be discretionary.”

“The administration’s continued efforts to limit access to the president cannot be defended,” it adds. “Any notion that space is ‘limited’ is not supported by the fact that every other president before Biden (including Trump) allowed full access to the very same spaces without making us fill out a request form prior to admittance.”

The White House press office ended COVID-19 capacity restrictions for the briefing room in early June 2021, but has continued with “spacing constraints.” 
Getty Images

The letter concludes, “Thank you for your attention to these ahistorical problems. We ask you to see to it that the protocols are changed back to the access norms to which we are accustomed.”

CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, CBS’s Ed O’Keefe and Fox News’ Jacqui Heinrich and Kevin Corke signed the letter, as did legendary former ABC anchor and White House reporter Sam Donaldson, TheGrio’s April Ryan, Newsmax’s James Rosen, Gray Television’s Jon Decker and Al Jazeera’s Kimberly Halkett.

The letter was drafted by veteran journalist Brian Karem, who writes for Salon. The second signature was from CBS News Radio’s Steven Portnoy, president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, which privately lobbied against the practice for months. A reporter for The Post signed third and helped circulate the document.

White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre speaks during the daily briefing at the White House in Washington, Wednesday, May 18, 2022.
White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre claims “I actually don’t know” how the selection process works, but denied it amounted to “blacklisting.” 
AP/Susan Walsh

Two other Correspondents’ Association board members — Todd GIllman of The Dallas Morning News and Francesca Chambers of USA Today — signed, as did past presidents of the association Tom DeFrank and George Condon, both of National Journal, and all five candidates in this year’s association election, including Eugene Daniels of Politico and Sara Cook of CBS.

In all, reporters assigned to more than half of the seats in the White House briefing room signed the letter.


High-profile journalists who reported on the Trump administration — including Jonathan Swan of Axios and Maggie Haberman of the New York Times — signed, as did journalists with decades of experience in the West Wing, such as Peter Baker of the Times, Lynn Sweet of the Chicago Sun-Times and John Gizzi of Newsmax, as well as DeFrank and Condon.

The letter was a rare airing of grievances. Some signers said they preferred to quietly communicate disagreements to the press office to resolve issues amicably and efficiently, but that attempting that route had been fruitless for more than a year.

The practice began last year as officials cited “spacing constraints” caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, but the pre-screening has endured long after the White House ended indoor mask rules and returned to full-capacity briefings in early June 2021.

In a sign of how little the coronavirus bears on current planning, Biden this month told guests that were packed tightly into the East Room for a Pride Month event that they would have to lean on one another because they were too crammed together to sit down.

Jean-Pierre said at a June briefing “I actually don’t know” how the selection process works, but denied it amounted to “blacklisting” of certain outlets or reporters.

Former White House press secretary Jen Psaki in October also declined to share the criteria, saying at a briefing, “I don’t have any more information on that.”

CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins
CNN White House correspondent Kaitlan Collins is one of the many journalist who signed the letter.
AP/Alex Brandon

Behind closed doors, the Correspondents’ Association failed in attempts to either learn the selection criteria or convince the press office to reopen spaces ordinarily accessible to all reporters.

DeFrank said he signed the letter to fight against the erosion of press access to the president.

“Having covered the White House since June of 1968 as a Newsweek intern, I’ve seen a troubling erosion in access that was once routine,” he said.

Over the past year, reporters were given a wide range of conflicting explanations of how the selection for events works, causing frustrations to mount.

One journalist who signed the letter said he was told by a prominent press officer that a random number generator determined who got in — though that wouldn’t explain why some news outlets can go more than six months without selection.

Other journalists were told it was “first come, first served,” before the explanation was anecdotally debunked when reporters who RSVPed later than them got in.Another journalist heard that the decisions were made in part based on the size of an outlet’s audience and that there was some sort of rotation, though that too does not appear accurate as months passed with certain outlets chosen more often than others with no apparent relation to size.

Karem, meanwhile, wrote in an April letter to Psaki that “I’ve been told point-blank that part of the reason for [the] restriction — at least in my case — is because I’m not liked and that I give you all grief.”

Veteran journalists and former press officers previously noted the exceptional change in the treatment of large events in the East Room and the White House-adjacent Eisenhower Executive Office Building’s auditorium. 

“The East Room hasn’t shrunk in recent years so it’s hard to imagine why space constraints would suddenly require restricting the number of journalists who cover events there,” Baker said in August last year.

“And it raises the question of what they base these decisions on — is it first-come, first-serve, or are they picking and choosing among reporters or news organizations based on some other criteria? If it’s the latter, that would be potentially troubling.”

Portnoy directly told Biden of the press corps’ wishes at a July 15, 2021, press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, saying that he hoped the East Room, the largest indoor space at the White House, would return to its former status.

“We’re looking forward to the day we can have even more reporters all the way to the back of the room,” Portnoy told Biden, before asking his questions.

Biden responded, “Obviously I know why they elected you president.”

Jean-Pierre did not immediately respond to The Post’s request for comment