Friday, December 18, 2009

Mmmm, Cheeseburgers

I hardly ever eat chain fast food except on long drives, preferring a good local diner or making my own, but some of these make me actually want to go try them. I think this was meant to discourage me though:

6 Worst Fast-Food Burgers


Is 800 calories for what would constitute an entire meal really a deal killer? (I guess the requisite fries add a few hundred more). I'm a big guy so my recommended daily calorie intake is about 2600-3000 per day. Is expending 1/3 of that on a single meal grossly extravagant? But even if you're smaller and your daily ideal calorie intake is in the 2000-2500 range enjoy the burger and then have a salad for dinner.

What I find most annoying about the piece though is it's over-the-top nannyism and self-righteous moralizing disdain the authors display. It's not about why this shouldn't be your meal 3x a day, 7 days a week, but why you should never touch one of these 'atrocities' or enter into this 'dangerous territory' eating 'scary' burgers piled with 'egregious' piles of bacon. The authors can't even conceive that anyone might find a big, juicy burger loaded with toppings enjoyable. And it took two people to write this trash. Maybe if they ate something other than soy and lettuce one of them would have the strength to write it by himself.

Maybe that's why I like Man vs. Food and enjoyed this book so much.

No comments: