Friday, February 12, 2021

The people who hated Trump for a living

NEWS

Schmidt excoriated John Weaver while recounting sexual abuse he had faced as a child


 


The Lincoln Project continued to implode amid numerous scandals that culminated with the resignation of co-founder Steve Schmidt.

The political action group was organized by Republicans aligned against former President Donald Trump but it has been plagued by numerous claims of sexual harassment and abuse against co-founder John Weaver, who has since left the group.

Schmidt resigned on Friday and released a lengthy statement explaining the reasons behind his exit. The statement described sexual abuse he suffered as a 13-year-old boy and how it led to lifelong depression and anger. Schmidt then recounted how he met Weaver at a campaign event when Schmidt worked for the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

"During all the time I worked for John McCain I never heard a single person ever whisper that John Weaver was a predator," said Schmidt in the statement.

"I did not have a professional relationship with John Weaver again until December 2019. I have said on the record that I learned about John Weaver's misconduct this past January. I know this is true, and I have certainty that the Lincoln Project independent investigation into John Weaver's conduct will validate this," he continued.


continue



No comments: