Thursday, December 1, 2022

Just like our FBI did geofencing the Jan 6 disturbance

China fights lockdown protests by targeting smartphones

William Yang in Taipei
2 hours ago

Beijing's vast surveillance apparatus is being used to track and intimidate protesters. Several people told DW they suspect their phones were hackedVE

Authorities in cities across China are using sophisticated surveillance methods to dampenanti-lockdown demonstrations, according to lawyers and protesters.

Several sources told DW that police in large cities like Shanghai have been randomly checking people's phones on the street or on subways. Police have demanded people provide personal information and immediately remove apps like Telegram, Twitter or Instagram.

Others have said they were called by police and had their phones searched by authorities.

"Police warned me not to use Telegram and asked me to stop sharing information about the pandemic through the software," said one protester with the surname Lin, who declined to be identified by his full name due to security concerns.

"I wasn't stopped on the street. I suspect the police may have detected that I've been using Telegram. I received two separate calls from the police, warning me not to share anything about the pandemic or the protests. My father also received a threatening call from them," he told DW.


No comments: